Sunday, March 20, 2011

Google vs. The problem of too many computers

or talking about GoingGoogle while linking to Daniel Tosh who I've heard is an effeminate male with a scat fetish

laptop, desktop, netbook, iphone, work computer, work laptop.  I have too many computers.  I have too many bookmarks.  I have too many passwords.  I'm geeky and I like to memorize things, but even for me, I've had enough.  Where did I put that file?  What calendar did I add that to?  It's too much.

That's why I've sold out to Google.  The headlines will read "Google acquires Thomas Hunt for more than 7 cents in AdCents revenue!"  But in reality, though I'm not being paid for my transition and I've put my personal data and personal privacy at great risk (especially to forces that are larger than Google), if I can use Google to stop messing around with multiple computers and the complexity that they bring, if I can focus on my own tasks and accomplish my goals,  I will be the one gaining in the end.  That seems like a worthwhile trade off and besides, though I don't like to admit this publicly, but I guess the truth of the matter is, I'm not that important (yet?).  Just another fish in the ocean that waves at Libya and other serious problems, like Japan.  Ginsberg, Kerouac, Hunt, maybe not yet, but with the power of Google?  Who knows.  What it really comes down to is that, I the tech support guy, needed better tech support.  I needed to be coddled and taken care of by people smarter than myself, and I think Google will provide that.  Look at how Blogger keeps flashing and saving what I'm writing! (even now as I do revisions, this is some pretty impressive auto saving, and I've lost dozens of blog posts in the past on other platforms, by pushing the back button or following a link from IM)  That's something I'm not paying for, but I'm receiving great value.  Sure I guess they could develop relevant ads for the drafts of my work, creating a sort of shadow bidding network as advertisers vie to be the first one to sponsor what will become a popular post (of course they'd need an algorithm to determine how viral the post would become, factoring in things like how many links to Rick Astley videos with the coefficient of whether or not a geek beats the shit out of a bully and whether the poster is a good personal friend of Xeni Jardin or Whil Wheaton.  A feverish market of red blooded advertisers furiously outbidding each other for the next BoingBoing, SearchBlog, Kottke post, while a smaller section of the auction is dedicated to finding that one in a million shot, the little blogger that could, the voice in the darkness that gets his own 15 seconds and 25 cents worth of advertising traffic and struggles mightily.  Insiders wonder if the whole market is fixed and if some insider genius at google is manipulating the whole thing, having secretly developed the formula for cool and is slowly draining a fortune from the futures market, but the real serious advertisers don't care about the kooky conspiracy theories.  They just want to bid bid bid till the end as the auction timer is always running and there's a new post to be speculated on every millisecond.  Pre-cog for pre-blog.  Sign up now.

Anyway.  Google Sidebar is revolutionizing my home pc.  It makes Google Calendar and Gmail seem like a part of the desktop and the start bar is just a distant memory waiting on the left side of the screen to be quietly euthanized.  I've got Google Notifier on my macs and it's a nice quiet integration that gives me instant access to mail and calendar when I need them.  Google Authenticator and the two step authentication process is making me feel more encrypted than ever before and Google Voice is preparing me to save hundreds of dollars this year as I live the dream with my prepaid out-of-contract iPhoneWIFI that I mainly use as a pager to then call people back on skype.  What I'd really like is an android phone that focuses more on Skype than the SIM card.  Sure, you could substitute the recent GoogleAquisition Gizmo in for skype and tie it in better with Google Voice and then the gPhone would really be rolling.  They just have to decide they want to save us from the phone companies.  Then they could save us from the broadband caps that are slowly creeping our way, acquire Netflix and Nintendo, merge with Amazon and then take over UPS to conquer the world.  pre-cogAmazonaGoogleGamesnFlixUPS -- all the world shipped to you, on your phone, right now, before you're even thinking of it.

Q: If Google could own the world, what would Google do with the world?


Questions!  Answers!  Googles!  Stay tuned to this blog, as Thunt and his trusty sidekick Google take on the problem of too many computers!  This post was written on a mac laptop, using Blogger and Google Chrome.  Why not a full screen view for blogger with just a black background and text?  Find out!  SOon!  Same bat time.  Same bat channel.  Same unpopular blogger who just had his name ruined by Daniel Tosh of the insipid Tosh 2.0 America's Funniest Home Youtubes, but I guess things are pretty even, given that Tosh is defined as  "an effeminate male with a scat fetish".  I might close all my blog entries with that, kinda make it my Carthago Delenda Est.

PS: I've also sold out to writing more off the cuff blog entries and trying to be fun and informative, throwing off the last of my history degree english degree writing shackles and reserving the right to go on completely insane off topic tangents and then refuse to edit them out, only fixing punctuation (kerouac standard) and spelling (thanks to annoying red squiggly lines).


PS to BLOGGER: Your link button is nice, but when I push link, my cursor needs to default to the link field, because I'm gonna paste the link in there.  Better would be if you just checked the clipboard for a link, and if it was there, linked it to the highlighted text instantly and not waste my time.  I'm sure you probably already thought of this and put it in the new version, or perhaps you have developers already working on it from reading the draft of this post.  pre-cog blog.


PPS to BLOGGER: Also needed is some kind of AutoLink mode, where it could scan the text and when I say Whil Wheaton, automatically link to him, as well as things like Google Voice, maybe I could select which auto links I like the same way I use a spell checker, of course I don't use a spell checker anymore, so you'd probably want to do the auto links the same way you do the auto spell checking, hilighting and giving options.  I expect for Tosh 2.0, one of the options would be "an effeminate male with a scat fetish". 

No comments:

Post a Comment